Re: Secondary DNS

From: Rob Merkwitza <support@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:08:05 +0930
On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 11:37:21AM +0930, Rob Merkwitza wrote:
> I am running squid 2.1.RELEASE on a Sun Ultra 5 and everything is running
> sweet except for: If my Primary DNS goes down or fails squid does not seem
> to be able to resolve hostnames via my secondary DNS.  I definitley have
> both the Primary and Secondary DNS in my resolv.conf

>       Does other programs also fail to resolve? The Sun resulver may
> be broken. You could try to replace it with the one comming along the
> bind v8 distribution. Or you could also run named as a forwarder on
> the squid-box.

Well I suppose that's the weird thing I can ping and trace to www sites and it will resolve when my Primary DNS is in active but using a browser through the proxy I get the following:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://abc.net.au
The following error was encountered:
Unable to determine IP address from host name for abc.go.com
The dnsserver returned:
Name Server for domain 'abc.go.com' is unavailable.
This means that:
The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

-
Rob Merkwitza
Technical Manager