Re: squid configuration question

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:57:32 +0200

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Kathy Wu wrote:

]telnet localhost 3128
]and do a
]GET http://www.anysite.com
]
]it would not get me the HTML because it is not in the cache. instead it
]give me a connection timeout page. is there anything i can configure in
]the squid.conf or other conf files, which allow me to GET html files
]from any server which does not exist in cache? in another words, can
]squid go to the web directly to get the file when it is not in cache?

Your request is basically a HTTP/0.9 request. Squid does not appear to
support them any more, use at least HTTP/1.0 syntax. Also, Squid seems to
need 'a second line', which can be almost anything. Try something like:

$ telnet your.host 3128
GET http://www.anysite.com/ HTTP/1.0<CRLF>
Accept: */*<CRLF>
<CRLF>

That should to it. The "<CRLF>" is the carriage-return + linefeed
sequence.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726