Re: scsi drive error - squid blocking - lost swap.state

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:45:31 +0100

[ Unkillable process following disk/SCSI controller failure. ]

> 1: How can something like this happen/is there a way I could have done
> without the reboot (servers are remote located).

This is the operating system protecting itself. The write failure
may well have ocurred on a super block, making the filesystem unsafe
and, unless it goes out of its way to clean up, the safest approach
is to leave anything waiting for that super block, etc. in a
permanent wait.

Note, also that by "bad blocks" fsck doesn't mean ones with media
faults, but block addresses which are outside of the filesystem
limits.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>