Re: SOCKS support?

From: <a8505970@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:10:48 +0200 (MSZ)

I actually got it working. Standard socksifying technique worked, the
problem seemed to have been in the resolver lib, squid linked in the AIX
/usr/lib/libbind.a, upon which starting squid lead to error messages of
not being able to run dnsserver.

> > environment is AIX432, IBM xlc compiler, squid-2.2.DEVEL3).
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is not supported; see the main web site.

Do you want to tell me the supported version has SOCKS ;-)?

> Socksifying Squid is going to force your proxy to have to support
> huge numbers of open file descriptors - it may well not do them
> anything like as well as Squid and may well run a process per
> connection, which is exactly what squid is trying to avoid, although
> it is coming back from that extreme in the threaded versions.

Hmmm. I relay everything going toward the Internet through a proxy in
front of the firewall (single parent mode). I was under the impression
that not one socksd is run per every GET. I may have been wrong, but it
works nicely, admittadly in a small-medium environment.

Cheers,

-Michael