Re: SOCKS support?

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 22:03:40 +0200 (CEST)

In article <Pine.A41.3.96.990407205609.71412A-100000@unet.univie.ac.at> you write:

>Hmmm. I relay everything going toward the Internet through a proxy in
>front of the firewall (single parent mode). I was under the impression

We used to have a TIS firewall toolkit http-gw on a bastion host as
parent for Squid but a) performance wasn't right (fork()ing for every
request; I fixed that myself by using the on-demand preforking of
http-gw children like Apache does) and b) contains lots of obscure bugs.

>that not one socksd is run per every GET. I may have been wrong, but it
>works nicely, admittadly in a small-medium environment.

I socksified Squid (see other message) and together with a optimized
socks daemon (which preforks child processes so no fork() overhead) we
a) got a tremendous performance improvement over http-gw and b) never
got hit by http-gw bugs anymore. We're doing 50-150 reqs/sec and I
wouldn't call that a small-medium environment :-).

Arjan