Re: SOCKS support?

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:54:42 +0200 (CEST)

In article <Pine.A41.3.96.990407141630.43764A-100000@unet.univie.ac.at> you write:

>I would really like to see "clean" SOCKS supoort for squid (such as in
>ssh: "./configure --socks4=/usr/local/lib/libsocks.a" for example, with
>dedicated socks4 and socks5 support).

Together with a colleague from work I'm porting the socks4 patch I made
for Squid 1.1.10 to Squid 2.*. The real porting has been done (that was
the easy part) but the problem is that the external ftpget program from
Squid 1.1 has become a part of the squid process itself in Squid 2.* and
then it becomes more complicated. Therefore I cannot give any estimates
on when it will be ready.

Note: people have reported that socks5 works OK with Squid. When I tried
running the squid binary with the normal socks4 library some years ago
it failed, that's why I implemented the (quite simple) socks4 protocol
in Squid itself. The external ftpget program works OK with the socks4
library.

Arjan