Re: Bake-off

From: <jlauro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 02:00:17 -0400

> THE bottleneck of Squid is well-known -- Unix file system. We are working on
> SquidFS to eliminate that bottleneck. As for the discussions, there were
> plenty on squid-dev list. I think it's time to actually implement something.

The bake-off did not have any test cases with high end
hardware for squid. I would like to see the results of squid
with decent hardware. Because of the Unix FS, you really need
10000 RPM drives, and would be better off and cost less with 3
10,000RPM drives (6 10000RPM drives even better) then the 6
cheap drives it was tested with in the bake-off. Also, a
$3500 switch and a single gigabit port along with squid
running on the gigabit port. Just to see how squid "scales"
when you put decent hardware behind it. It will bring the
cost closer to $10,000, but wil give a better idea of how
squid "scales" compared to the others. A low end configuration
of course should still be tested.... but I think the low end
would be better off with 2 7600RPM IDE drives.