Re: Bake-off

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:18:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Stephen Anderson wrote:

> Will there be any discussion as to how Squid might be further
> developed to improve Squid's performance in comparison to its
> competitors in the bakeoff? I would be curious to find out if we could
> apply some things learned from the bakeoff to help Squid better
> handle higher request rates.

I do not think that the bake-off itself taught us anything really new
regarding Squid performance. IMO, Squid showed good performance and the best
price/performance for loads under 100 req/sec.

THE bottleneck of Squid is well-known -- Unix file system. We are working on
SquidFS to eliminate that bottleneck. As for the discussions, there were
plenty on squid-dev list. I think it's time to actually implement something.

Alex.