Re: Count traffic

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 11:05:00 +1000

Irfan Akber wrote:

> Squid logs all the traffic involved with each client and it is logged in
> access.log. You can run a simple awk script to calculate the data given out
> to the client. Another method would be to use kernel accounting on a per
> IP basis, depends what OS you are using.

Yes, but this is only an application-level bytecount. If (like some of
us) you are expected to account bytes back to every customer and match
that up with third-party traffic logging (say, on the downstream
router), your figure will come out too low. (MOST of the time. Not ALL
the time. I've seen _once_ a situation where application-level bytes
came out too high, due to tcp-buffers and undelivered data).

After dealing with this problem for some time, I refuse to even
speculate on the percentage differential between applciation-level and
network-leve bytecounts for any given installation on any given day. Put
a separate traffic-counter between your proxies and clients, and account
it separately there if you need precision.