Re: Squid & MS-Proxy

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:11:00 +0200

At 11:46 AM 4/12/99 -0700, Justin Pietsch wrote:

>> Just configure your ms-proxy to use the Squid as a parent. CARP is probably
>> not
>> a good plan. The result is that the MS-proxy only talks to the Squid. No
>> fallback and no talking between the lower level MS-proxies.
>
>Why is CARP not a good plan? Do you mean in general?

CARP is a load balancing protocol and not a cache-sharing or cache-fallback
protocol. Judging from performance of some busy Squids I know about I don't
think loadbalancing is needed in your case.

>I was planning on writing some perl so that MS-proxy can have what it
>wants for fallback/resiliency and I can still use squid.

Great! Make your MS proxy do ICP or detect failed tcp connections and you have
a fallback.

>Justin

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm