Unidentified subject!

From: T. Esting <t_esting@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:22:43 PDT

  Dear Squid community -

  On an Ultra5/267MHz/256MB machine, we have been able to wheeze by serving
several thousand users (20-40K requests / hr) using squid 1.1.22. However,
we
spend the majority of our time in disk wait mode. I recently upgraded to
2.1PATCH2 and asynchronous I/O seemed to take care of that bottleneck
rather
nicely. However, while the change improved I/O, it seemed to dramatically
affect CPU usage: our run queue sizes went from 1 < q < 2 to 2 < q < 10
(tragic
for a single-CPU machine). %runocc suffered similarly, and the system
overall
became less usable than the version 1 system. Have others experienced the
same
issue? Are there workarounds in later versions of squid 2.x? Are there
tuning
parameters (4 dnsservers were kept constantly busy by our user load, as well
as
8 redirectors) that ought to be considered and/or reconsidered?

  Thanks.

  Erick.