Re: SQUID & SSL

From: Greg Stark <gsstark@dont-contact.us>
Date: 14 Apr 1999 11:21:56 -0400

Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int> writes:

> Now it is true that servers in the field use different ports (I can't see
> the reason but who am I?)

Because it's the only way to support more than one secure server on a machine
since the SSL handshake is done before the HTTP Host header is sent.

Actually another solution is to have multiple interfaces on the machine, which
is what many Unix machines do. But NT has several limitations that make this
awkward, namely configuring a new interface requires a reboot, and all your
additional interfaces have to be on a second card, in my experience it doesn't
work if you bring up additional interfaces on card for the existing network.

greg