Re: enable-async-io breaks -USR1 logrotate?

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 15 Apr 1999 14:30:52 +0200

In article <cistron.199904150840.KAA05359@rzenik.arnes.si>,
Matija Grabnar <Matija.Grabnar@arnes.si> wrote:

>> A few days ago I recompiled Squid 2.1.PATCH2 with --enable-async-io on
>> Linux 2.2.4 RH5.1 glibc 2.0.7. Since then, it appears that squid no
>> longer responds to -USR1 to rotate logs. I noticed after the HD filled.

That's because SIGUSR1 is used by LinuxThreads. But if you compile squid
under Linux with --enable-async-io it just uses another signal for rotate
logs. The easiest thing is to use squid -k, that will always send the
right signal to squid.

>I use async io on Solaris 2.5.1 and I have notic3ed a simmilar problem.
>Note that logrotate does not fail immediately: it works for a week or more,
>and then it starts responding to "-k rotate" with "no running copy" even though
>squid is running and responding to requests.

That sounds like a cleanup process simply removed the squid.pid pidfile.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)