Squid & upstream filtering proxies

From: Craig Baird <bairdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:46:18 -0600

I have a situation where we will be providing Internet service to a local school. This will be through a 128k connection, so I'm concerned about bandwidth. For this reason, I am considering using Squid. Here's the problem, however: All http requests are required to pass through the state's WebSENSE filtering proxy to weed out objectionable material. To my knowledge, WebSENSE is not a caching proxy--simply a filter.

It seems that it would be fairly simple to configure the browsers at the school to use Squid, then configure Squid to use the state's WebSENSE proxy, but I can't seem to find any info on how to make this happen. I've checked the FAQ and the archives, but can't seem to find any definitive answers on it. Is there a way to configure an upstream proxy that isn't a cache in Squid?

TIA

Craig Baird
Xpressweb Internet Services
bairdc@xpressweb.com