Re: Squid & upstream filtering proxies

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:10:48 +1000

Craig Baird wrote:

> I have a situation where we will be providing Internet service to a local school. This will be through a 128k connection, so I'm concerned about bandwidth. For this reason, I am considering using Squid. Here's the problem, however: All http requests are required to pass through the state's WebSENSE filtering proxy to weed out objectionable material. To my knowledge, WebSENSE is not a caching proxy--simply a filter.
>
> It seems that it would be fairly simple to configure the browsers at the school to use Squid, then configure Squid to use the state's WebSENSE proxy, but I can't seem to find any info on how to make this happen. I've checked the FAQ and the archives, but can't seem to find any definitive answers on it. Is there a way to configure an upstream proxy that isn't a cache in Squid?

Yes. A proxy is a proxy is a proxy, as far as squid is concerned. ICP is
icing only. Use never_direct to block bypass of the hierarchy. Add
no-query and no-digests to the cache_peer line, and set the ICP port to
7 (the echo port).

That configuration should work with any http proxy. Certainly any that I
can think of.