Re: Inquiry of Transparent Proxying

From: Gene Black <gblack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 01:27:56 -0400

I keep hearing this bit about not being able to authenticate doing
Transparent Proxying... Naturally the normal proxy authentication won't
work, but... it doesn't take much thought to realize that there's no
reason the proxy server can't do it's own little authentication deal and
simply redirect the first (or any needed subsequent requests) to it's
own private HTML login that it requires before passing the request
through unmolested... Does anyone know of a product that does this yet?
Is there any work being done to add it to Squid?

Gene Black
3rd Wave Technologies