Re: Why doesn't cookies work?

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:17:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> > > I note that Hotmail is only Microsoft-owned, and still running Apache on Solaris
> > > because NT couldn't do the job.
> >
> > You mean Apache on FreeBSD, not Solaris. AFAIK, Solaris is used for
> > the mail spools (NFS?).
>
> Also, the reasons why they aren't (weren't?) running NT are not likely
> NT, it is more likely the HotMail application heavily depends on Apache,
> which in turn is (was) not very portable outside the POSIX/UNIX world,
> which is very different from Win32. Prehaps the same is also true for
> the HotMail application itself, and it is very much true for Squid.

Possibly, but at the time Apache did run on NT (though not as well as
it does now). I heard they actually had NT box(en) up and running,
but they choked under the load. Doesn't surprise me at all. Wether
they were running Apache, IIS, or something else, I don't know.

<Sarcasm> Besides, NT is POSIX compatible, and a better Unix than
Unix, right? </Sarcasm>

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users. It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."