Question about transparent caching

From: Victor Carranza <victorc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:24:35 -0600

Hi!
I am trying to setup a transparent cache system which I want to use to
force www traffic from some clients thru a squid cache. We are a
ISP-like institution, and many of our clients are already deploying
squid caches within their networks, but some others cannot do that by
now. All our clients connect to our main cisco router via a channelized
E1 link, so each link is seen as a serial synchronous connection (ie
interfaces serial0:0 thru serial0:15). The cache box is running FreeBSD
3.1/squid-2.2PRE2. I tried with the recipe found in Squid FAQ for
"transparent proxying with FreeBSD", but it does not work when I apply
it to one of the pseudo-serial interfaces. However, it works fine when I
try it on the ethernet interface at the router which manages our local
network (where the cache box is also connected), which is in turn
connected to the main router via a serial interface.

Is somebody running a configuration like this one? what could be the
problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Victor Carranza