Re: Does squid eat much of CPU?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:37:35 +0200

David J Woolley wrote:

> It seems to me that serialisation of images by HTTP 1.1 compliant
> browsers may well be counter productive and lead to either users
> bypassing caches or browser sellers abandoning the 2 connection limit.

The limit applies to when not using proxies as well. The main difference
is how pipelined requests are handled, but the bandwidth differences
between most clients and proxy servers should even that out.

When the browser sends pipelined requests a proxy has to split these
into individual requests (using pipelined in a proxy is strongly
discouraged due to the shared nature of server connections). To
compensate for this a proxy is allowed to use up to twice as many active
server connections.

As pipelined requests mature, we may see this restriction lifted to
allow pipelining of requests from the same client connection.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker