Re: Does squid eat much of CPU?

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:48:27 +0100

> There are very strong reasons at the TCP/IP level why this
> recommendation exists. The goal of connection management in HTTP/1.1 is
> to transform web browsing to a well behaving application according to

I've always appreciated this reason, but end users tend to work on
subjective behaviour (and commercial product developers tend to react
by creating products which optimise for the individual user whilst
making the system as a whole work less efficiently. (I call this
selfish optimisation.))

It seems to me that serialisation of images by HTTP 1.1 compliant
browsers may well be counter productive and lead to either users
bypassing caches or browser sellers abandoning the 2 connection limit.

What we tend to see on the list is the user pressure as applied to
the cache operators, as the first step before the user bypasses the
cache.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>