Re: squid 2.2 STABLE1 and TCP_MISS rate

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 08:45:16 +0200

At 04:46 PM 4/23/99 +0100, David J Woolley wrote:

>> >From the refresh speed, I suspect I'm getting a cache hit when I do a
>> 'refresh' from Netscape, even if it is recorded as TCP_MISS/304. It sure
>> seems like the refresh is too fast to be going back to the server. Is this
>>

>Unfortunately one can get a conflict between a browser cache and a
>public cache if the public cache doesn't contain the page but the
>browser cache does. What then happens is that the browser does and
>if-modified-since request, which misses on the public cache, but only
>produces a short response from an upstream cache or the origin server.

Unless you have told squid not to cache this sort of URL or if you have a small
(to small) cache-size it is not very realistic that the browser has cached it
an the proxy hasn't.

Marc
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm