Re: Help: Squid performance bombs when many sites are unreachable

From: Simon Rainey <srainey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 15:27:58 +0100

Hi,

I tried increasing the number of dnsserver and redirector processes to 24
each before we got Exodus connectivity back but there was only negligible
improvement. As soon as Exodus came bake we were rolling again.

What I'm concerned about is this. Suppose our transatlantic links go down
(we're based in the UK) so we lose all US connectivity. Now maybe 80% of
requests are for US sites. If Squid (or the dnsserver) is going to block
because it can't reach those sites then it will eventually grind to a halt
no matter how many dnsserver / redirector processes I'm running. That
effectively takes out UK and European sites for no good reason. Is there
anything I can do about this?

Is it the dnsserver that blocks or Squid itself? I would have thought that
the results for name lookups of commonly accessed sites (e.g. Hotmail)
would be in our named cache (and I could certainly resolve them while the
problem existed).

Also, if a site is unreachable then Squid eventually times out the request
after some time T. At peak times we see 100 TCP requests per second per
cache. If 80% of the requested sites were unreachable then that's 80 rps.
The number of pending requests that will be unserviceable (ignoring
caching) is then 80T, or 2400 for a 30s timeout. How would Squid's
performance degrade with this many pending requests?

We're running 18 caches and they were all suffering from the same slowdown
... and in the 2+ years we've been running Squid this is the first
significant issue we've seen ... but it caused a major panic here today :-(

Regards,
Simon.