Hosts that don't respond to pings?

From: Hugo Fiennes <hugo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 09:10:51 +0100

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my old 1.1.9 squid installation to squid 2.2 stable2.
The problem I'm now getting is that, with out-of-the-box config files (just
the user access control twiddled) I have problems talking to some sites, eg
hotmail. The only thing I can think of on this is that hotmail doesn't
respond to pings, although telnetting to port 80 connects instantly.

All the ICMP ping stuff I could find in the config file related to use with
cache peers, of which I'm using none. I tried "test_reachability off" but
this
doesn't have any effect (I wasn't really expecting it to, as it's a peer
thing?).

Any ideas? The platform is rh5.2 with kernel 2.2.7. The net link goes via
ethernet, then via a masqueraded and firewalled PPP connection, but there
are no problems with outgoing traffic/icmp pings normally.

Thanks,
Hugo