Re: dnsserver, linux problem?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 08:12:58 +0200

Adam Carter wrote:

> The machine is hedhat5.2, patched. Hoping it was a hedhat patch the
> broke squid, i run up another fresh 5.2 box, installed squid and it
> worked fine. I ran the patches and squid continued to work,
> disproving my theory (i need to double check tho).

Check the following files:

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
the output of domainname

If you are running NIS then you may want to reorder /etc/nsswitch.conf
to exclude NIS from host lookups ("man nsswitch" if you need help with
the format). Most NIS servers are single-threaded and many are
configured to relay DNS lookups, effectively making DNS lookups
singlethreaded no matter how many dnsserver processes you run.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker