Re: FTP Downloads

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:40:03 +0200

Markus Leutwyler wrote:

> i get a lot of "ftpDataRead: read error: (11) ressource temporarily unavailable" and
> "ftpReadControlReply: read error: (11) ressource temporarily unavailable" messages
> in the syslog.

These are soft errors seen when a filedescriptor is reported ready for
reading but no data has arrived. If you see these a lot then I suspect
there is a problem in your socks library implementation of select/poll.

> this is the same behaviour for either the binary or text file ... the
> only thing that puzzles me is the "(0 bytes)" reply from the FTP
> server.

That string is generated by the FTP server. Suggest that the FTP server
has a odd notion of file size.

> the difference between the binary and text file is that squid
> receives all the data, but doesn't forward it to the client
> (browser) when receiving the binary file.

Perhaps the FTP server truly beleives that the file is 0 bytes long, and
responds with this size to SIZE commands as well? Squid uses SIZE on
binary transfers to find the object size to be reported in
Content-Length headers.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker