hotlinking and server opinion

From: Justin Smith <blacula@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:46:20 -0500

I am looking at building a squid box as a http accelerator for an existing
apache box that is getting over 250k+ hits a day. Due to the cgi work on
that server, it is getting a little busy.

My plan is to use the squid box as the front end handling all static
graphics and images. While the existing box handles the rest using the
squid box as its gateway.

Here is my problem. I do not know if hotlinking would be stopped. I am
running a freehost and I do not want users to have their site located on
another site and link to my site for only images. Currently, the machines
.htaccess takes care of that and I am curious if the reverse proxy will
recognize this.

Second, I plan on buidling a PII 350/384megs/10gig EIDE drive. Anyone
with any good/bad stories to report

Thanks
Justin