RE: hotlinking and server opinion

From: Mike Batchelor <mbatchelor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:15:38 -0700

I think EIDE is a bad idea for squid, especially with just ONE drive.

You'll be logging to this drive, and you'll be caching to this drive, plus all
the other stuff your host OS does to the drive. My 750+ users quickly overran
a single FW-SCSI-2 drive in a 2 CPU Origin 200. Adding a second drive for
just the cache swap helped relieve this bottleneck, but the cache drive still
peaks at around 80% utilization, which is just too high for comfort. I plan
to stripe the cache drive into a multi-spindle volume. But you can't easily
do this with EIDE, since the IDE bus is not shared - when one drive is busy
the other one waits. You can add a second drive as a master on the secondary
IDE port, but that's as far as you can expand.

Go with SCSI, use multiple drives. Otherwise, your squid cache will be
spending most of it's time waiting on I/O. Load will be high but CPU
utilization will be very low. You'll waste the PII-350 if you use EIDE.