Re: Squid with NT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 02:39:13 +0200

Miguel Bazzano wrote:

> My problem was not due with having MSPROXY as a Parent, but rather with
> having it as a Child, you see in my organization there are several net
> administrators who are relunctant to use Linux, much less Squid. So, while I
> prefered SQUID for its superior features in the central administration
> office, I still would have liked them to be able to peer with the cache at
> this adm office, rather than going directly to the Internet.

I am afraid this does not answer my question. --enable-carp does nothing
to enable Squid to be used as a parent to a CARP aware proxy. All it
does it to transform Squids cache_peer directive into a CARP like
request distributor (and as Dancer noted, breaks a number of things on
the way. A Squid compiled with --enable-carp is uncapable of handling
any other kind of peerings).

To make Squid a CARP compatible parent server --enable-carp is actually
not needed. What is needed is to manually write a CARP load distribution
descriptor / "array membership table" and put this on a URL where the
CARP aware child caches or clients may fetch it. CARP load distribution
/ membership tables is in a sense similar to proxy autoconfig scripts,
it tells child proxies/clients how to distribute the requests on parent
proxies (or in some cases internally in a cache cluster).

Squid's CARP support includes no CARP manager, and it is the
responsibility of the CARP manager to construct the membership table
used in peerings with CARP aware proxies or clients.

Apart from this array membership table a CARP enabled proxy looks no
different than one without CARP, and in the Squid case there is no
outside visible difference since there is no membership table. Because
of this I strongly suspects that --enable-carp did nothing to help your
peerings with MS Proxy servers.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker