Re: Squid with NT

From: Miguel Bazzano <mbazzano@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:14:16 -0300

Henrik,

>the way. A Squid compiled with --enable-carp is uncapable of handling
>any other kind of peerings).

Is this for sure, that means that my SQUID is unable to handle ICP requests
now?

>To make Squid a CARP compatible parent server --enable-carp is actually
>not needed. What is needed is to manually write a CARP load distribution
>descriptor / "array membership table" and put this on a URL where the
>CARP aware child caches or clients may fetch it. CARP load distribution
>/ membership tables is in a sense similar to proxy autoconfig scripts,
>it tells child proxies/clients how to distribute the requests on parent
>proxies (or in some cases internally in a cache cluster).

Could you explain this further I am completely lost here, could you post an
example of such a table.

>Squid's CARP support includes no CARP manager, and it is the
>responsibility of the CARP manager to construct the membership table
>used in peerings with CARP aware proxies or clients.
Because
>of this I strongly suspects that --enable-carp did nothing to help your
>peerings with MS Proxy servers.

Like I told you I do not know much about SQUID, I knew how to make SQUID
connect through a MSPROXY, however I could not make a MSPROXY 2.0 server
connect to a SQUID box, no matter what I tried, however compiling SQUID
with --enable-carp allowed me to do just that (i.e.:I could tell MSPROXY to
use my SQUID parent for its connections), whereas before MSPROXY would try
to contanct SQUID whithout success.

Regards,

Miguel Bazzano