new squid user! Help

From: Francois Prowse <fprowse@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 12:17:35 +0100

Hello all.....

I have been playing around with squid this morning and am having
a few problems, it does not appear to be as staightforward as the
docs would suggest. Then again I presume its just my stupidity.

I downloaded the latest 2.2 Stable source and compiled and installed
as per the usual method. This was all done as a new user called squid
which was created before install.

Now when I run /usr/local/squid/bin/RunCache & I get the following
error message.

-----
bash: /usr/local/bin/squid: No such file or directory
mainbeach:/usr/local/squid/bin# /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -z
1999/05/13 11:47:49| Creating Swap Directories
FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /usr/local/squid/cache: (13) Permission
denied
Squid Cache (Version 2.2.STABLE2): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.010 seconds
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 186
-----

Obviously I (the squid user) dosn't have permission to create the
directories, although
it would appear to when doing a ls -l on /usr/local/squid

Any help greatly appreciated....

Cheers

Francois Prowse