too little usage of cache

From: Juergen Leising <a0037@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 00:08:12 +0200

Hello,

I use squid-2.2STABLE2. I almost always get TCP_MISS even for
those sites I definitely know they are stored to ./cache/.
According to the archives I put into squid.conf:

refresh_pattern . 99999999 1000 99999999 override-expire ov
erride-lastmod reload-into-ims
acl local-servers dst localhost comp1 comp2 comp3
always_direct allow local-servers
never_direct deny local-servers
never_direct allow all

What else can I do to force squid using its own cache?

I've read about several reasons why squid has to go
to the internet e. g. with .pl-scripts, cgi-scripts,
special cache avoiding commands and so on -
but cache usage lower than 1 % is a bit strange, isn't it?

What I really liked to know is: How can I force squid to fetch
a web page out ouf its own cache with no regard to all of those
points?

I did read about offline_mode - but this doesn't prevent squid from
sending to the internet. Apart from this, at least a "Reload"-command
should provoke a lookup like if-modified-since, so offline_mode
seems to be not the real solution I am looking for.

Well, I should add that squid's peer is a parent-cache (and has to be -
no chance to do it otherwise).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Juergen.