Re: forward all request to another proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:17:05 +0200

Spyros Ioakim wrote:

> I'm not behind a firewall. I just want when the user request a page that
> request will be forwarded to a different proxy (proxy.hol.gr:8080) but also
> the downloaded document from the proxy.hol.gr will be cached on my squid
> running machine.

Squid by default stores objects fetched from parents (or siblings). Only
if you specify the cache_peer option proxy-only then the objects won't
be stored.

> Right now I'm using proxy.hol.gr as my parent and it works ok but I want all
> the pages that the users request and are not on proxy.hol.gr to be forwarded
> to proxy.hol.gr and let him get it for me (since proxy.hol.gr is on a faster
> connection)

Squid does forward requests to parents even if the parent does not have
the object (this is the definition of the difference of a parent and a
sibling.. siblings only get requests for objects they claim they have).

Unless you specify "prefer_direct off", Squid will sometimes go direct
on requests where it makes no sense to use a parent (uncacheable
requests).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker