Re: Name based virtual hosts and accessing via squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:30:13 +0200

David Jericho wrote:

> Obviously squid is stripping the HTTP type somewhere somehow. What do I do
> to fix it?

You can't. A proxy is REQUIRED to downgrade HTTP requests to the highest
HTTP version it supports.

I am not aware of any Apache servers restricting name based virtual
hosts to HTTP/1.1. All HTTP servers I know of supports them when using
HTTP/1.0 as well.

About the only case I know of where name based hosts in combination with
Squid is a problem is when you run Squid as an accelerator or
transparent proxy, and haven't enabled httpd_accel_uses_host_header in
squid.conf. Then Squid caches the requests using the IP address or
httpd_accel_host, and subsequent requests ends up with the reply seen on
the first cached request.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker