Squid 2.2STABLE2 & Linux 2.2.8 Problem ...

From: Olivier GOSSELET <ogosselet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 14:50:52 +0200

Hi,

I am using squid for a while with more or less no problem ... except that we are filtering out a big banned sites list and that the load of our proxy increase day after day. We connect 1 Belgium schools to the Internet every day.

First we decided to make a cluster of 3 PII 450 Mhz 2*4.5 GB on two SCSI-Controller.

But for economical reason, maintenance reason, place .... we can not continue to add machine ... and this is not a good solution because the limitation is not disk or memory but CPU.

So we decided to upgrade the machine to Dual PII 450 MHz.

We are running Slackware 3.6 with kernel 2.2.8 wich support multiprocessor.

The kernel upgrade seems to be OK
Squid works on this machine for a while but sometimes the machine crash !!!
Squid is the only running program on the machine.

I am not sure it's a Squid problem because there is nothing in the Squid logs ... no logs on disk at all just a screen shot saying :

divide error : 0000
CPU : 1
EIP : 0010 : [<c017009f>]
EFLAGS : 00010246

bla bla bla ... (too long to write)

Kernel panic : Attempted to kill the idle task !
In swapper task - not syncing.

The only solution is to turn off the machine ...
I am not a Linux guru so i do not understand the meaning and the possible reasons of this problem ...

Does anobody runs Squid / Linux on a multiprocessor machine ... with or without this problem ...
Does someone know a solution ?

Thx,

Olivier

Ing. Olivier GOSSELET