Re: Squid 2.2STABLE2 & Linux 2.2.8 Problem ...

From: <jlewis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:31:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Olivier GOSSELET wrote:

> I am not sure it's a Squid problem because there is nothing in the Squid logs ... no logs on disk at all just a screen shot saying :
>
> divide error : 0000
> CPU : 1
> EIP : 0010 : [<c017009f>]
> EFLAGS : 00010246
>
> bla bla bla ... (too long to write)
>
> Kernel panic : Attempted to kill the idle task !
> In swapper task - not syncing.

If squid crashes the kernel, then something's wrong with the kernel. Even
if squid were buggy, it shouldn't be able to crash the kernel...just
itself.

> The only solution is to turn off the machine ...
> I am not a Linux guru so i do not understand the meaning and the possible reasons of this problem ...

You should post the full messages you get during these crashes to the
linux-kernel list.

> Does anobody runs Squid / Linux on a multiprocessor machine ... with or without this problem ...
> Does someone know a solution ?

I've run it on a dual P120 under 2.0.36 without problems, and briefly
under 2.2.6, but under very light load. I'm running a busy squid cache on
2.2.7 (not SMP), and the only problem I'm having is memory leaks in 2.2S2.

----don't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*| Spammers will be winnuked or
 System Administrator | nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Atlantic Net | to get the job done.
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________