Re: Advice: for a U450

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:21:58 +0200

Randall Badilla Castro wrote:

> hited by ~1000 machines... so the disk is always pumping) I want to know
> what can improve the machine another 128MB of ram of a second processor
> just to bound it to the squid process. I need your advice since the memory

The best way to determine that is to measure the performance of your
system using sar or a similar tool. Then upgrade or reconfigure the part
which is most likely to be a bottleneck.

Unless you already have done so, you may be able to increaste the disk
performance by using transaction logging for the filesystem (available
in DiskSuite, and part of Solaris 7 I am told). See also the fastfs hack
for Solaris/SunOS if speed is more important than crash recovery on
machine failures (hardware/power/kernel panic etc.).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker