Re: Advice: for a U450

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:07:19 +0100

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 03:21:58AM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Randall Badilla Castro wrote:
>
> > hited by ~1000 machines... so the disk is always pumping) I want to know
> > what can improve the machine another 128MB of ram of a second processor
> > just to bound it to the squid process. I need your advice since the memory
>
> The best way to determine that is to measure the performance of your
> system using sar or a similar tool. Then upgrade or reconfigure the part
> which is most likely to be a bottleneck.

For Solaris at least, you could do far worse than get the SE (Symbel)
Toolkit, written by Adrian Cockcroft (Solaris tuning guru) and Rich
Pettit.

http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/se3/

When you've downloaded and install it, I suggest you start by using
the "monlog.se" script.

> Unless you already have done so, you may be able to increaste the disk
> performance by using transaction logging for the filesystem (available
> in DiskSuite, and part of Solaris 7 I am told). See also the fastfs hack
> for Solaris/SunOS if speed is more important than crash recovery on
> machine failures (hardware/power/kernel panic etc.).

You can also, under Solaris 7, mount with the noatime option to stop
access times from being updated on files. That could help too.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)