Re: Advice: for a U450

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 09:01:59 +0100

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 05:11:39PM -0600, Randall Badilla Castro wrote:

> I'm using a Sun 450 Entreprise server machine with 128 MB ram, 2
> GB for squid and a 100 MB FastEthernet Nic directly connected to our
> 10/100 3com Switch. This machine don't use the swap partition, but I want
> to increase the responsiness of the machine. (explaining: the machine is
> hited by ~1000 machines... so the disk is always pumping) I want to know
> what can improve the machine another 128MB of ram of a second processor
> just to bound it to the squid process. I need your advice since the memory
> upgrade cost ~$2K and the second processor ~$2.5 on my country. Then I
> want to choose the best option!
> Any comment is welcome!

Questions:

(1) Do you know this system is definitely not swapping?

(2) Have you tuned it at all?

Take a look at the squid FAQ, system dependent wierdness section for Solaris,
for a link to a tuning page for Solaris by Jens-S. Vöckler. This page should
be compulsory reading for all Solaris/Squid admins!

(3) What are your peak requests/sec and your caches LRU expiration age

Whether memory, CPU or indeed disk is going to help you will depend on
your load and what state your machine is in. You've not given that much
information here, though.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)