Re: need some tuning advise

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 14:24:51 +0200

Jorg B. wrote:

> I reviewed my "General Runtime Information" and noticed the
> following: Page faults with physical i/o: 104168
> By reading the faq it seems to have a problem with memory resources...

It MAY be an indication of memory shortage. This is not a definite rule
and is affected by a lot of factors, and depends a lot on which OS you
are running on. On Solaris for example this value is mostly useless as
all it indicates is that there has been I/O which involved physical disk
I/O.

> Could somebody take a look at the stats below and give me some hints
> on what my problem may is.

Are you sure you have a problem?

> Processors: 2 Pentiums 350's
[defenitely overkill from what it looks below]

> Memory: 256 MB's
[more than plenty at this time it seems. see below.]

> Select loop called: 8717162 times, 14.426 ms avg
[looks fine]

> Median Service Times (seconds) 5 min 60 min:
> HTTP Requests (All): 0.16775 0.17711
> Cache Misses: 0.35832 0.27332
> Cache Hits: 0.03066 0.02742
> Near Hits: 0.24524 0.20843
> Not-Modified Replies: 0.00919 0.02190
> DNS Lookups: 0.00000 0.00000
> ICP Queries: 0.00000 0.00000
[looks very fine]

> Resource usage for squid:
> UP Time: 125749.689 seconds
> CPU Time: 5049.620 seconds
> CPU Usage: 4.02%
> CPU Usage, 5 minute avg: 2.64%
> CPU Usage, 60 minute avg: 3.36%
[looks very fine]

> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 104168
[probably irrelevant]

> Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
> Total space in arena: 33569 KB
[256 - 33 leaves a lot of memory for OS and FS cache... very fine]

> Ordinary blocks: 33021 KB 21265 blks
> Small blocks: 0 KB 0 blks
> Holding blocks: 344 KB 2 blks
> Free Small blocks: 0 KB
> Free Ordinary blocks: 548 KB
> Total in use: 33365 KB 99%
> Total free: 548 KB 2%
> Memory accounted for:
> Total accounted: 25962 KB
[total in use - total accounted is not to great. this is also fine]

> File descriptor usage for squid:
> Maximum number of file descriptors: 256
[this may become a problem.. I would rather see 1024 there]

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker