Re: Negative caching of access denied errors

From: Greg Stark <gsstark@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 May 1999 13:51:14 -0400

Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid@mira.net> writes:

> You'll need to add 81 to the list of "safe ports" in your squid.conf

Indeed, as several people pointed out. It seems the debian default config only
lists 1025-5000 and a few ports under that. I have no idea why there should be
any distinction between privileged and unprivileged ports (indeed it seems the
security people would be more anxious about tunnelling to unprivileged ports).

<rant>

And I really hope nobody runs production proxies configured to disallow random
ports. If so you seriously degrade service to people using your proxies. Web
sites can and do use any random ports they please, and there's absolutely no
reason they shouldn't.

If you're afraid of people tunnelling other traffic through your proxy then
you can't run a proxy, restricting by ports doesn't stop the black hats but
does seriously affect users. Yet another case of security people valuing
dubious security through obscurity over essential functionality. Hmph.

</rant>

greg