Re: Password auth / shadow passwd file...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:36:18 +0000

Dave J Woolley wrote:

> > shadowed password information to a file readable by Squid.
> >
> In which case you have completely defeated the purpose
> of the shadow passwords.

Not entirely, but yes. If you look carefully in the example I provided,
the file is readable to squid and only squid, so in order to get
anywhere a attacker has to probe Squid for passwords instead of take the
shadow file and run crack offline somewhere. A probing attack is much
more likely to be detected than a silent download of the encrypted
passwords.

/Henrik