parent fast/child slow

From: Douglas Semonche <semonche@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:26:07 -0400 (EDT)

I set up a parent squid behind a firewall
(which permits the squid host pretty free access
to the net)

It works fine. then I set up a duplicate
squid on another machine at a sub-location
on the WAN, also behind the firewall, and
configured the duplicate with the following:

cache_host first_squid parent 3128 3130 default no-query

The second squid fetches pages through the
first squid but p a i n f u l l y slow.

The network between is uncongested, a browser
running on the second squid box using the first
squid directly gets pages fast. No errors logged on second squid.
memory looks fine. The parent has acl's
permitting the child to access and the default
miss_access allow all is in the parent's config.

It appears even the client requests are written
to the second squid log after a very long delay
eventually they appear in the first squid log.

Any ideas what to test/look for?