RE: Performance ..

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 18:11:23 +0100

>>> No hard figures at the moment - it's very difficult to get an idea of
>>> speed just by running benchmarking software due to delays on our local
>>> network,
>>
>> A decent proxy benchmark would allow you to simulate the server side as
>> well as the client side. Then you control the delays. Give Web Polygraph
>> a try.

yep, I took a (very) quick look at it. The problem is that I can't
isolate either the MS proxy or the Squid machine onto a private network
(this is token ring so I can't just use a crossover cable or anything :)
and so any tests I do are subject to other network traffic, but on the
other hand I can't get access to the MS proxy server to run the client
there, making any tests a bit unfair.

as for server-side testing, surely fetching of pages that aren't in the
cache is going to be about the same speed on either system? (I'm not
planning on making use of squid's ability to contact other caches)

Interestingly, the WinNT token ring driver seems to outperform the linux
one by 100KB/second or so, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that
is. I'm waiting to hear from Madge tech support as to whether their
linux drivers are shareable or not - my own tests seem to prove that
they aren't. :-(

cheers

Jules