RE: Performance ..

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:08:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Julian Richardson wrote:

> as for server-side testing, surely fetching of pages that aren't in the
> cache is going to be about the same speed on either system? (I'm not
> planning on making use of squid's ability to contact other caches)

You might be surprised by the difference. There are a lot of local
optimizations that can be applied to misses. More importantly, one has
to have a _mixture_ of hits and misses to measure "real" hit (or miss)
performance correctly because both kind of requests compete for disk
bandwidth and other resources.

Alex.