Re: Problem - No route to host

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 17:54:58 +1000

Philip wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I hope that someone can help me on this issue.
>
> I have no problem with squid 2.2.STABLE3 on Linux 2.2.7, until ISP
> changes the network circuit.
>
> Now, I could nt access outside the country domain, namedly, .sg domain.
> If I do that, I would get the error - No route to host. So, I hv no
> choice, but to switch to another proxy software - to access ISP's own
> proxy.
>
> Any ideas on how to reconfigure the squid so that I dont have to go thru
> ISP's proxy.
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions.
>
> Thanx a lot.
>
> Phil. 8)

Let me see if I have this straight:
1. You were running your own proxy (squid 2.2S3)
2. Your ISP had a proxy as well.
3. You didn't have YOUR proxy configured to use THEIR proxy.
4. They put a firewall in that restricts access outside your national
domain.
5. You have to set your proxy to use their proxy to get outside your
national domain.

Is that basically it?

If so, you can try something like:

cache_peer isp.proxy.name parent 8080 7 default no-query
never_direct allow all

(assuming isp.proxy.name is the name of your ISP's proxy box, and it's
running on port 80, and it doesn't understand ICP)