Re: Proper squid startup procedure

From: Maciej Kozinski <Maciej.Kozinski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:55:42 +0200 (EEST)

Julian Richardson:

> Hi,
>
> quick Q....
>
> what's the proper procedure for starting up squid after a machine
> reboot? Do I need to run 'squid -z' first and then just 'squid' or can I
> ignore the first command? I've seen both procedures documented...

Nope, you need 'squid -z' only when you set up new cache directories.
You can run it paralelly to running squid when you change the squid.conf
and add new 'cache_dir' line, but before you run 'squid -k reconfigure'.

> what about log file rotation (eg. squid -k rotate); does that have to
> have a running copy of squid in place before being issued or will it
> work fine as a standalone command?

Everything I could say about that is it is not require to shut down the
squid for executing this command ;)

Regards,
M.

--
           Maciej Kozinski         http://www.uck.uni.torun.pl/~maciek/
	   Remember: Un*x _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about