Re: Proper squid startup procedure

From: Mike Batchelor <mbatchelor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:16:07 -0700

>Hi,
>
>quick Q....
>
>what's the proper procedure for starting up squid after a machine
>reboot? Do I need to run 'squid -z' first and then just 'squid' or can I
>ignore the first command? I've seen both procedures documented...

Just run squid.  Squid -z just resets the swap tree.  I use squid -sY - it's
what RunCache uses, and it causes squid to log to syslog (-s), and to do a
performance optimization (-Y).  I don't like the way RunCache wants to be
backgrounded to watch whether squid dies, so I don't use it.  Squid has so
far always managed to restart itself when necessary.  I'm not quite sure why
RunCache tries to duplicate what is already built-in to squid (perhaps it's
a legacy startup script from when Squid couldn't restart itself?).

>what about log file rotation (eg. squid -k rotate); does that have to
>have a running copy of squid in place before being issued or will it
>work fine as a standalone command?

squid -k <anything> just reads the squid.pid, and sends a signal to the
process ID found there.  No process, no squid.pid, so YES squid -k requires
that squid is already running.