Caching returns from POST

From: Mike Batchelor <mbatchelor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:52:59 -0700

Is it possible to cache returns from a POST request with Squid?
Can I get an example of how to do this?

I also want to pin the returns in the cache for a set period of time - 12 to
24 hours - regardless of any cache-control headers (or lack thereof) that
are returned by the origin server.

Background: we use the Verity search engine on our web site.  We want to put
squid in between the front web servers, and the Verity search engine.  The
web servers accept visitor searches using HTML forms, pass the form data
into a web server plugin, which formulates a request via HTTP POST to the
Verity search engine.  Verity responds with a XML document, which is further
processed by our templating system, ads are inserted, and finally it is
returned as a HTML document to the visitor.  We have identified a huge
potential for a search performance boost if we can cache the returns for
popular search terms with squid sitting in between the web servers and the
Verity engine.

Squid would be configured as a reverse-proxy accelerator in this situation.
The web servers would be configured to make the Verity POST requests to
Squid, which would (ideally) already have the response in the cache.

Any help is greatly appreciated.