RE: Caching returns from POST

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:33:03 +1000

One of the development guys would be able to answer the specifics of what
Squid can do, but that answer will almost certainly be 'no'. POST involves a
request body, which Squid is totally unequipped to deal with, AFAIK. What
you're talking about would also break a lot of other things.

HTTP 1.1 says that POST is cacheable with the approprate Cache-Control:
headers, but I don't know of a proxy that will actually cache it (somebody
prove me wrong?)

You may have better luck writing a POST -> GET munger that can sit on the
Verity server, wait for GET requests from the cache, POST to Verity, and
then serve the appropriate XML response. That way, you have complete control
over the object headers. I've done something similar (adding IMS
functionality to a cgi script) and it really isn't too bad.

Have fun,