Re: Squid enhancement thought

From: tom minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 19:13:57 +1000

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 10:42:25PM -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:

> I was working on a commercial caching box today, the only feature it had
> that Squid didn't was the following.
>
> When a user requests a html document, the commercial box scans that html
> document for additional objects (mostly images) and starts retrieving
> those immediately. Shortly after, when the client requests those objects,
> the cache box either has them already, or is already getting them.
>
> Could this be implemented in Squid?

This could have nasty side effects. In Australia we're mostly charged by
the megabyte or by % utilisation, a user visiting a site with say 1000
linked MP3, movies or FTP site (each around 5-10Meg) would generate
around 500-5000Meg of traffic just from visiting a single page!

The commercial solution must have some kind of sanity checking to prevent
this (perhaps HEADing the objects and checking their size or limiting the
spidering effect to only a few links at time or in total).

tom@interact.net.au